Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Nowhere from Here

Although I enjoyed reading Jacquelyn Baas's article about art, I am at lost for an example of art that I have enjoyed in this way, or a piece of "relational aesthetic art." The part of her article that I enjoyed the most is the idea of an artist's life being full of art, instead of just when they choose to sit down and create it. I think this is important because as someone who enjoys studying art, I can't help but just enjoy certain moments in my day that I find beautiful, or scenes I see before me. It's a good thing that Duchamp changed the idea of art from just the product into including the process, because it would be a bit absurd to think that art is only just finished, typical pieces. I searched for quite sometime online to try to find a piece that interested me, but I often found myself becoming confused within articles full of art and intellectual jargon instead of finding actual projects. I'm sure that I would enjoy pieces like this in real life, in person, but reading about them only muddles my thought process. In fact, not to sound belligerent, but sometimes when reading about these artistic practices and theories I get a bit angered and frustrated, because I think a lot of artists, even if they really mean all the things they say, sound ridiculously pretentious. This could be frustration coming from not understanding what they are getting at, but you know that there are people out there that talk just to make themselves sound important. Anyways- I apologize, that was sort of a mini-rant. That's what I get for googling half an hour. Any piece of art or design that a viewer enjoys should have a certain aspect of relational aestheticism to it. There has to be something to draw the viewer in and keep them there. In ComDesign when we talk about creating design, our professors often say "seduce the eyes, and challenge the mind," or something along those lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment